Within the wine making process, effective cleaning chemicals are essential for avoiding re-work of products, flavour-taint and excessive down-time of production equipment whilst cleaning occurs.
Forward-thinking wine and brewing organisations are moving away from basic sodium-hydroxide or potassium-hydroxide solutions, to formulated chemicals that include active agents to remove deposit build-up on tanks and filters, and reduce the cleaning time and volume of chemicals used, or sent to waste-water flows.
At Dominant, we pride ourselves on working with wineries to develop formulated cleaning products that offer reduced risk of contamination or taint in winery production, whilst also improving cleaning performance and minimising environmental impact associated with waste-water run-off.
Our formulated products include:
- Potassium Hydroxide/Sodium Hydroxide blends with added surfactants and sequestrants, which is now the favoured CIP solution for a number of Australia’s leading wineries
- Formulations blending peracetic acid and hydrogen peroxide to product a very effective sanitiser, with the additional benefits of being non corrosive to stainless steel and reducing biological oxygen demand (B.O.D.) in effluent.
- Non-caustic products designed product for medium-duty cleaning such as removing light to medium tartrate deposits. The non-caustic formula is much safer for operators and doesn’t require dangerous goods storage requirements or other PPE. It can also be safely used on aluminium equipment.
- Formulations which combine Sodium Hydroxide with low-foaming detergents and sequestrants to deliver exceptional cleaning performance
When using formulated products instead of the basic caustic products historically used in wineries, the small additional cost for products is more than offset by the reduction in cleaning time, effluent water treatment and cleaning performance.
1300 789 852
Products we offer
Wine tanks should be sanitised prior to refilling. Whilst the cleaning process will significantly reduce the number of microbes, it will not provide the reduction in microorganisms required to achieve sanitation.
Traditionally wineries used chlorine or sulphur compounds for sanitising. However, many wineries now no longer use chlorine because of risk of trichloroanisole formation which can cause flavour tainting.
Cleaning Floors and Outside Tanks
Most wineries have concrete floors between the tanks. These floors can become badly stained due to wine spillages.
The residues from the wine can act as a food source for bacteria and moulds. This can lead to off colours or unsightly black mould staining.
Bottling Plant Products
Dominant can supply a wide range of equipment for accurate dispensing and more efficient use of the products. This includes chemical dosing pumps, electronic detergent feeders, handsoap dispensers and more.
Dominant is committed to providing ongoing training of the highest standard. Staff training is an integral component of the Dominant service.
Dominant can provide training on many facets related to cleaning and hygiene including:
- Food Safety & Hygiene
- The Safe and Effective Use of Cleaning Chemicals
- Doing it Right: Good Dishwasher Practice
- Hazard identification in the workplace
- HACCP and Food Hygiene procedures
An assessment component is available for all the training modules above in order to assess competency.
Dominant provides monthly dishwasher and glasswasher reporting free of charge. Reporting covers machine and chemical dispensing, equipment condition and operation maintenance.
Safety Data Sheets and copies of the Food Industry Approvals are available. Technical Bulletins give additional information about the products, and SOP’s and Product Application Charts can be prepared to assist with staff training and ensure optimum product use.
Dominant has qualified chemists on staff, please contact us for specialised advice, and assistance with any cleaning or sanitation requirements.
Phone 1300 789 852