World Earth Day 2023
Tomorrow is #worldearthday.🌏 This year, we're focusing on what we can do to #investinourfuture by acting consciously to join in on the world's largest environmental movement:
The covenant is a national co-regulatory framework that sets out how governments and businesses across Australia share the responsibility for managing environmental aspects of packaging. The objective is to work together to execute further solutions for packaging efficiency, sustainability and delivery on Australia's 2025 National Packaging Targets. As a signatory of the APC, we are required to provide information to demonstrate and action our commitment to packaging sustainability on a national level.
A few of the actions that we've committed to include:
- Collaborate with our packaging suppliers to supply packaging materials containing recycled content
- Recycle wooden pallets for shipping finished product reducing the impact on landfill
- Recycling messaging on labels to educate our consumers on how to recycle Dominant products
- Regular on site clean ups to reduce litter and clutter
Environmental Protection Authority
Part of our obligations with the EPA include the submission of an annual report to the National Pollutant Inventory disclosing the quality of fuel, electricity and specific chemical substances. This report also details various reduction measures that the organisation has put in place to demonstrate reductions to the land, air and water.
The actions that we have implemented to demonstrate a reduction of emission to the regulatory authority include:
- Implemented HAACP cleaning schedules to reduce clutter and monitor potential spill or leak sources
- Installed solar panels to implement effective energy usage across the site (generating 100KW of solar energy per day on average)
- Maintenance of dust extractor units to ensure air emissions are limited
Another key governing body we report to is SA Water. The actions required to adhere to our obligations require us to undertake the following:
- Monitor periodically on the total dissolved solids (TDS) content, pH and the volume heading to sewer
- Monitor and review the main water meter, soft water meter and the amount of water used in batches of manufactured product to better understand and improve the water usage.
We've also put various initiatives in place for the prioritisation of recycling across all operations. For example, partnering with a certified 200L and 1000L plastic drum refurbishment organisation to minimise our impact of plastic waste to landfill. In return, this allows us to reduce the production of new plastics.
That's a little bit about how the team at Dominant are committing to investing in our planet. All changes, including small changes contribute to building a cleaner, more sustainable future.